Mason, I remember when

 Today, Mason, you are 12. It seems so old, yet believable because it feels so long ago that you were born. But I remember when...

You were a brand new baby. Your arms would be stretched high above your head, it seemed to be your most comfortable position. We called you touchdown baby. You were a very strong baby, holding your head up and eyes wide open ready to see this cool new world.



Today you have grown so much. You are not tall for your age, but have definitely been getting taller and now I can fit your shoes! But I remember when...

You first discovered you had feet. It entertained you for so long. I remember laying you on a blanket on the floor and just sitting there with you while you rolled around, played with toys, and voiced your opinion on all things. You were a big fan of Mr. Squeaky Square and the Sunshine that sang to your from the handle of your car seat.




Today, you enjoy cooking. You are always ready to start making a meal, your last kitchen project being one of your favorites--instant pot lasagna, but sometimes you aren't as excited to finish cooking and leave the ending to me. I do love how I can just ask to make your own dinner now. But I remember when...

You started eating real food. You so loved to explore your meals. We delighted in giving you your first lemon and seeing that puckering face. We gave you so many different fruits and veggies to try and you still ended up being the biggest fan of bread and carbs.




Today you are so responsible. If I ask you to do a task, I can count on you to follow through with that and I really appreciate it. You have also grown into a pretty neat and tidy person. But I remember when...

You were a curious toddler. We had so much fun just the two of us while Dad was at work every day (and we had fun with him, too). You would "help" me with all my housework. Emptying clean baskets of laundry, taking everything out of the cupboards, and taking the time to kiss the little boy in the mirror with big, wet, open-mouthed kisses. We would cook together and do experiments and just walk around or play in water, you really did love that. Two other favorites of yours were anything with wheels and Nutella toast. We would ask you if you were "as strong as a shark?" and you would flex your muscles so hard you shook.



Today you can spend an entire day just reading books. You devour some in what seems like record time to me. But I remember when...

Dad and I would read so many books to you. You had your favorites--Little Blue Truck, Pout Pout Fish, I'm Bad, Goodnight Goodnight Construction Site, and so many others. We read them over and over and over. You went through a phase of not being able to fall asleep at night so Dad would drive us around Tekamah after dark to lull you to sleep and we would recite the books to you from memory.





Today you know just how to get under your sisters' skin and consequently your mother's as well, ahem. There are days you set that hobby aside and you three have the best time together. There have been many many hours spent on the trampoline in the backyard together coming up with new games, building Legos together, and you all seem to really be into this whole deal of playing Minecraft together. But I remember...

When you became a big brother. I don't think I can ever forget how hard you would clamp your teeth down on your sisters' teeny tiny hands with no plan to every release your bite. How I thought that would never end! You did have some gentle moments as well. The way you said "Elliot" and "Finnley" was of course extremely cute. While you were quick to terrorize your sisters, you were also extremely friendly to other kids. You were a huge fan of giving any child we came across a big hug whether they expected it or not.



Today you are an idea guy. You love to just hang out and talk. You can get really focused on something and talk about it for hours. But I remember...

You went through a phase where you got a kick out of running away from us. We would chase after you and that made you run even faster. We had to put up a fence when we moved to the farm just to keep you contained and not running down the lane heading for who knows where. Speaking of who knows where, once you gained another year or two past that phase you were very great at disappearing. I once found you on a chilly day casually walking down the road to the north in your short sleeve jammies ready to tell me all about the neighbor's pond you went to see with the dog. Luckily you didn't try your hand at swimming as that was not yet in your skill set. I also had to go looking for you one time when I couldn't find you anywhere, and got Grandma and Grandpa pulled into the search party as well. You and the dog had walked a whole section to the east along the creek through the field and you were on your way back when we finally located you.



Today you are looking forward to having farming in your future. You have recently mulled over ideas of raising rabbits, growing food via hydroponics, and maybe even growing fish. I think you still see future Mason taking over Grandpa's farm someday with Viggo. But I remember...

You chasing around our geese and turkeys. You wanted to show them who was boss and sometimes kicked the turkey, until one day he kicked you right back. You did have a soft heart for the little chickens and were always so good at catching them, feeding and watering them, and petting the tamest ones.



Today you own a bike, a bike trailer, a scooter, an electric gokart, and a hoverboard (thanks to Aunt Lindsay) and for your birthday asked for bike tires because you are dreaming up a plan to build your own go-kart type vehicle. But I remember...

When Grandpa taught you how to drive the tractor. Every harvest (and spring planting) you looked forward to riding along in the tractor or combine, it all started with your toddler appreciation for wheeled objects and grew from there. The tractor was so so big and you were not. And then you drove me around on the tractor all by yourself and I'm really glad you knew what you were doing because I don't even know how to drive it.


Today I am just so happy God gave you to us as our son. We love you so much and are looking forward to enjoying more memories and fun times and growing times together.

Comments

Popular Posts