Day in the Life

3/5 of us were up and ready for the day around 7. We had already snuggled in bed for a bit before sneaking out so we didn't wake anyone else. The kiddos had some homemade granola with milk (see me at the Farmer's Market Saturday if you want to give the granola a taste test) and once Elliot woke up the gals head outside to do morning chores. Dad and Mason needed some time together so they grabbed a deck of cards and played Rummy before Dad got ready for work and left for the day.



Us gals settled in for a game of Trouble. Elliot quit about 1/5 of the way through, typical. Finnley beat me by one move. Then laundry folding for me! E and F picked out some music to listen to on the kindle and headed outside to swing. That's their thing.



Garden snack! Not sure if our peas will get a chance to fully form or if little hands will pick and eat them all first. I may be guilty as well..


Cousin Viggo came over for the day. All four are really into dinosaurs right now, so deep discussion about them was first on their list. Then lots of playing; dress up, dance/wrestling to too loud music, some artsy endeavors, building, and exploring outside. While they are playing I get some cleaning done, some weeds pulled out of the small garden, and made dinner. We've been keeping meals super simple around here lately. It has been really nice.








Grandpa Tim and Uncle Brian were hauling corn so Viggo (the farm equipment lover) had a good time watching that go down. I finally got caught up on my laundry folding.. but that's as far as the laundry process got.


The kiddos picked mulberries and ate them (the dog, too). They climbed onto the propane tank to better reach and each time Finnley got stuck.



I kept with the simple theme for supper and we had a smoothie, leftover duck, mashed potatoes, and gravy. The kids also picked a tiny amount of mulberries to go with our meal, but they didn't even make it to the table before getting eaten. While I cleaned up supper dishes, the little ones headed back outside, all working together to dump water onto a discovered ant hill. It was probably the best they worked together all day. I also managed to get some vacuuming done.



Lindy showed up to reclaim her child and we eventually convinced everyone it was bedtime.


Mason and Elliot modeled their new shirts they won from their entries in the Tivoli Lego Building Contest at the library.



We did our usual bedtime routine. Supper, jammies, brush teeth, I read their book choices (this time it was The Adventure of Huckleberry Finn), then we do "family reading time" which is just everyone looking at their own book choices (including me!) for a while before last potty and drink and tuck in time.


^ Fake sleeping for the photo ^



After everyone was tucked and settled, I headed out to the garden. I pulled weeds, picked some radishes, and got about four tomatoes mulched. I usually have less than an hour window here before it gets dark and I have to retire for the night and shut the birds in. I have 4 doors to remember right now, "hog house chicken house", the babies, the bigger babies, and the coop. The geese have been cranky lately so I always have to watch my back when I bend over to gather any eggs.




I came in, did a tad of book work for the restaurant, and decided to call it an early night. I had had a headache all day (which is unusual for me) so I basically greeted my husband and then said goodnight and headed to bed.

Comments

Popular Posts