Giving Back - January 2014

This is the last day of January, can you believe it? One day closer to basketball season being over.. not that I'm counting down or anything...
In case you missed it, I am reflecting at the end of each month on ways we have given back to the community, payed it forward, lent a helping hand, etc., and also ways we have witnessed others do the same. {see last month's post here}

This month has been so slow, yet it has suddenly come to an end. We have spent almost all of our time at home, dodging the germs that winter is so well known for. Plus it has just been bitter cold out! We are totally ready for spring (and the end of basketball season, *ahem*) but it is still a bit off. Being stuck inside has made me think of other ways I can give back, although most are still ideas in my head.

I've been browsing this site called Go Fund Me, have you heard of it? Barb told me about it a while back and I think it is pretty neat. It is basically a place for people to hold online fundraisers. Some people are seeking a trip to Disney World for their kids, some are facing hardship with piles of medical bills. There is a huge variety and it can be very interesting looking through different people's goals. I even started my own page, because, why not?


As I was browsing, I came across the Lacy Family Farm Sustainability Project. I really like what they are doing on their farm and their goals align with mine (long term, anyhow), so I felt compelled to help out. I gave a very small donation, which might not even buy them a box of nails to build their livestock shelters with, but I'm sure any size donation anyone receives provides a little hope. And hope, my friends, is a powerful thing.

Aside from that very small donation, not much to report. I have piles of my clothes to give away sitting out in our porch, next to a sack of baby clothes ready to be handed down to a sweet girl named Hadley (Hi, Erin!). Maybe February will warm up a bit and we can get out and spread some cheer!

What about you? Have you been able to find a way to pay it forward?

* * *

Check out what Barb and Liz have to say about their month:
The D's and the Dogs
The "My Life" Project


Comments

Skye said…
Hi there... Great idea on paying it forward! Every little bit counts too. I have donated a bunch of clothes and toys to our local church's thrift shop. I also plan on finding a congenital heart defect family to donate Tyler's baby clothes to this year. I want to pay it forward to another heart baby who needs clothes! Oh and by the way - I seriously can not believe how big your kids are getting! I miss so much when I take off for a couple months! :)

Popular Posts